Lentil Chorizo Soup
If you try out this lentil chorizo soup, you will definitely like it. It is a simple masoor dal soup or red lentil soup made with any diced sausage or salaami. Chorizo being the most flavorsome, I prefer using it for that extra kick. You can use chicken salaami or pork or really any other sausages of your choice.
Ingredients for sausage soup
* 1 cup red lentils
* 2 liter stock (either vegetable or chicken)
* 2 Tbsp butter
* 1 medium Onion (chopped)
* 1 Tbsp (chopped garlic)
* 1 stalk of celery (chopped)
* 1 Bay leaf
* 1 Clove
* 1 Carrot (diced)
* 1 Potato (diced)
* 100 g chopped Chorizo (or any other meat sausage or salaami, quantity depends on you, add more or less)
* 2 Tbsp Tomato puree
* 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
* ½ Tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 Tsp dry roasted and crushed cumin seeds
* Celery Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
* 1 Tbsp freshly chopped coriander
* 2-3 coriander leaves to garnish
Wash the red lentils (masoor dal) and strain. In a saucepan add about 1 liter of chicken stock and the red lentils. Bring to a boil and then simmer till the lentils are cooked. Add more hot stock as and when required, during cooking. In another saucepan melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, bay leaf and clove, till the onions become soft and glossy. Then add the carrot, potato, tomato puree and the chopped chorizo. Stir for 3-4 minutes more and add a little stock, bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Add the cumin seed powder, salt, pepper, coriander, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
Now mix the cooked lentils in this mixture and stir well. Check the seasoning and consistency. Add more stock if required. Let the soup rest for 15 minutes before you serve, so that the flavors amalgamate.
Garnish with green coriander leaves. Enjoy with the bread of your choice!
Lentil Chorizo soup to other soup recipes
Creative cooking corner home