Chicken risotto recipe - An Italian rice recipe
Chicken Risotto is a traditional Italian rice recipe. Usually it is very creamy and cheesy. Well this one isn't. In this risotto, I have tried to balance the good taste with good health. So that's good isn't it?
I think, to make a good risotto there are four main things required
1) Risotto rice also known as arborio rice. If that is not available it is best to use any short grain rice.
2) A good chicken stock (preferably made at home). If not available, don't worry it will not be the end of the world. Use a ready made stock or just water if need be.
3) Imagination - Mix and match the Ingredients as you want (Seafood, chicken, sausage, liver or all vegetarian).
4) Little bit of patience, read on and you will know why.
Making a risotto involves a different style of cooking rice. Unlike a pulao or biryani (Indian rice recipes) or paella (Spanish rice recipe), where you put the measured stock with the rice, for a risotto you have to add the stock gradually into the rice. When that gets absorbed then you add the next installment. So go ladle by ladle.
That brings me to a very important point i.e keep the stock hot at all times. Let it simmer on an adjacent stove.
Usually it takes about 25-30 minutes for the risotto rice to cook, which means your precious presence will be required at all times.
But hey!! it will be worth it. Patience pays in the end. What do you say??
For this chicken risotto which will serve 4-5, you will need the following Ingredients
- 2 cups Risotto Rice (or any short grain rice)
- 3-4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- About 1 Lt of Chicken stock
- 3-4 sun dried Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Chicken breast (diced into cubes)
- 200 gm Button Mushrooms (sliced. Any other will also do)
- A fist full of pine nuts
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh basil (chopped) or 2 Tsp dried basil
- 3-4 Tbsp Grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pan melt the butter, add 2 Tbsp of garlic and the onion. Saute till soft or when onions become translucent. Now add the rice and cook for 2 minutes till all the grains are coated.
Add a ladle full of stock and cook gently. Stir constantly till all the stock gets absorbed.
Continue to add stock (a ladle full at a time).
Meanwhile in a separate pan heat the olive oil, add the leftover garlic and chicken cubes. Sort of stir fry the chicken breast. It won't take long to cook. Also add the mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook till almost done and then transfer all this into the rice.
Keep adding stock and add more salt if required. Cook till the rice is just tender yet grains are separate.
Add the pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Turn off the heat. Garnish with basil and serve hot.
Enjoy your chicken risotto!!!
Note:- To spice up your risotto you can add some hot sausage meat (chorizo) or add more vegetables. Omit the chicken and make a vegetarian risotto by using a good vegetable stock. Add some pesto and cream. Anything really. Remember in your kitchen you are the Boss.
Chicken Risotto to other rice recipes
Creative Cooking Corner Home