Seven Layer Salad Recipe
This Seven Layer salad recipe is good for the palette and the eyes. Full of colors and of course nutrition and taste, it makes a well balanced meal in itself.
It is a bonus if you have a big glass bowl through which you can see all the layers but even if you don't happen to have one... It is the taste that counts. RIGHT??
This is a make ahead salad or a 24 hour salad. Will keep in the refrigerator easily. So, this will take a load of your mind, if you are inviting many guests.
For the Dressing you will need
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper corns
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
You can use this egg less, low fat mayonnaise recipe instead.
It is healthier and I bet will taste just as good (just dilute it by adding a little ordinary low fat yogurt or even milk to make pouring consistency).
Mix all the above ingredients well and put in the refrigerator until the salad is layered.
For the 7 layer salad you require
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce or any salad greens of your choice.
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs (sliced if you want them to be seen through the glass bowl or else just chopped).
- 2 cups of boiled corn kernels (you can use canned corn).
- 1 large Red Bell pepper (Cut into strips or chopped..can use any other color but red looks good)
- 2 large salad tomatoes (sliced or chopped).
- 1 grilled chicken breast (sliced into thin strips.You can use boneless pieces from any leftover chicken or meat. Vegetarians can use herbed tofu or cooked seasoned soybean chunks.)
- 1 can of red kidney or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed).
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese (cheddar or any of your choice, go ahead increase the quantity if you want)
- 1/2 cup of pitted green and black olives cut into halves (optional).
- 2 tsp capers (optional).
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts or walnuts(roughly chopped,also optional)
Now just assemble the 7 layers as follows
Tear the lettuce leaves and place in the bottom of the bowl. Top that with the eggs, then the red tomatoes and bell pepper. Next comes the chicken, followed by the red kidney beans. Now arrange the sweet corn (save a few to sprinkle on top). Pour the dressing. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds, corn, olives, capers, the nuts and the cheese on top.
Your nutritious and colorful seven layer salad is ready. Now dig in and enjoy the fruit of your labor.
Cover it up with a cling wrap and keep refrigerated for up to 24 hours until ready to be served.
If you liked this Seven Layer Salad recipe, you might want to check out some more delicious salad recipes.
Creative Cooking Corner Home